Marondera University of Applied Sciences
Faculty of Science
Faculty of Science is part of the University of Zimbabwe committed to training scientists for both national and international development. The programmes offered in the Faculty of Science have had a long history of success. They have been needs-based with regard to national development and self sufficiency in national manpower requirements. These programmes have operated under tested regulations. It is not an exaggeration that the programmes have acquired international recognition. The MSc programmes that have been running have produced graduates for both the public and private sectors as well as academic staff for the new state universities. It is regrettable however that due to the critical staffing situation, some of the programmes have had to suspend enrolment of students. However, some MSc programmes, especially in those departments that had thriving link programmes, have acquired international recognition and attracted students from the southern African region. The Faculty is proud of its record in postgraduate training by research. In the past 10 years, the Faculty has produced 22 M. Phil and 47 D. Phil students, all of whom have been absorbed into various sectors locally, regionally and internationally.
Research is a prerequisite for all academics at UZ for both confirmation of tenure and promotion. In the past donor funding for research was forthcoming from many organizations, such as SIDA-SAREC and British Council link programmes, but this has since been discontinued. It is worth putting it on record that the Faculty excelled in both accounting of the funds and producing good publications from the research projects.
Finally, the mandate of the Faculty is to produce so many Marie Curies, so many Isaac Newtons, so many Watsons and Cricks and many more.
“A nation that fails to invest intelligently in Science and Technology will be condemned to wither because of its short sightedness. Investment in Science and Technology is like hope grounded into action.”
Quality driven Faculty of excellence in the training of sciences, research and development at the cutting edge of Innovation.
Produce well rounded graduates of high caliber and provide quality consultancy services focused on socio – economic development of Zimbabwe.
Intelligence, Diligence, Integrity
sciplines and quality flexible programmes to cater for the potential student, be it undergraduate or postgraduate.
Faculty of Science Departments
- Department of Biochemistry
- Department of Biological Sciences
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Geology
- Department of Geography and Environmental Science
- Department of Food, Nutrition & Family Science
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Physics
- Department of Statistics
Institute of Mining Research
- UZ School of Technology
- University Lake Kariba Research Station
It is not an exaggeration that the programmes have acquired international recognition. The MSc programmes that have been running have produced graduates for both the public and private sectors as well as academic staff for the new state universities
- Master of Science Degree in Agricultural Meteorology. (MAGM)
- Master of Science Degree in Analytical Chemistry. (MACH)
- Master of Science Degree in Applied Physics. (MAPH)
- Master of Science Degree in Biotechnology (MBTC)
- Master of Science Degree in Chemistry (MCH)
- Master of Science Degree in Computer Science (MCT)
- Master of Science Degree in Environmental Policy and Planning (MEPPS)
- Master of Science Degree in Exploration Geology (MXGL)
- Master of Science Degree in Exploration Geophysics (MXPH)
- Master of Science Degree in Geography and Environmental Science (MSGE)
- Master of Science Degree in Mathematics (MTS)
- Master of Science Degree in Plant Physiology (MPP)
- Master of Science Degree in Statistics (MSTC)
- Master of Science Degree in Tropical Entomology (MTE)
- Master of Science Degree in Tropical Hydrobiology and Fisheries (MTFH)
- Master of Science Degree in Tropical Phytopathology (MTP)
- Master of Science Degree in Tropical Resource Ecology (MTRE)
Faculty of Science
Location : Building B060 Science Centre
University of Zimbabwe
P.O.Box MP 167
E-mail : email@example.com
Tel: 303211 Extension 15001/15002
Direct Line :307130