Haramaya University Summer Program
Haramaya University Summer Program – Introduction ;
Education in its general sense is a form of learning in which the knowledge, skills, values, beliefs and habits of a group of people are transferred from one generation to the next through practical experience sharing, discussion, teaching, training, or research. It is through education that science and technology take root in a society. The skills and values that education creates will enhance biophysical and socio economic transformation for sustainable development. Education also provides citizens with an understanding of natural and human environment including the political, legal, social, economical and institutional functions of a society; and with the social and moral awareness to thrive in it. It is the education and its system that prepare citizens for the challenges and opportunities of changing the world. Thus, education in general is the base for development.
To meet all these and other necessities of education, regular higher education programs elsewhere and those in Ethiopia in particular have not been able to satisfy the divergent educational needs of all segments of the society. Regular education programs could not serve the interest of those who could not access regular education programs due to various reasons such as physical, financial, social, human and institutional assets. Depending on their access to either of these livelihood assets, clients may require education programs including the continuous, distance, and summer programs. In line with this, the Summer Education Program (SEP) has been found to be the necessary way to address the educational questions of a considerable number of citizens of the nation
Since its establishment in 1997 G.C., SEP has reached out citizens who have been deprived of the opportunity to attend regular education programs due to different reasons and in so doing to contribute to the human resource development of the country. In general, it is believed that Summer Education Program of HU has continued to play a great role in advancing the human resource development of the country.
- Objectives of Summer Education Program
The prime objective of summer education program is reaching the educational need of the society as the university’s effort to fulfill one of its mandates, which is community service endeavor. In the meantime, generating optimal income that promotes the academic and administrative staffs, and strengthen the regular programs is the other objective for which this program is established. Thus, starting from the time of its establishment, many professionals have been graduated in different fields of studies, playing a role in the overall development of the country.
- Existing Programs
Within the mentioned objectives, currently, a total of more than 6, 000 students are enrolled under 27 fields of studies in undergraduate programs, namely:
|College of Natural & Computational Sciences||College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences||College of Health and Medical Sciences||College of Business & Economics|
|Biology||Agricultural Economics||Environmental Health Sciences||Accounting|
|Chemistry||Animal Science||Medical Laboratory Sciences||Cooperatives|
|Sport Science||Natural Resources Management||Midwifery|
|Institute of Technology|
|College of Social Sciences and Humanities||College of Computing & Informatics|
|Rural Development and Agricultural Extension||Soil and Water Engineering|
|Afan Oromo and Literature||College of Education & Behavioral Sciences|
|Geography and Environmental Sciences||Special Needs|
|Educational Planning & Management|
|History and Heritage Management|
|Gender & DevelopmentStudies||Adult Education and community development|
- Newly Proposed Programs
In addition to the existing programs mentioned, the Summer Education Program office has made all the necessary preparations to initiate the following undergraduate programs:
- Library and Information Sciences
- Public Administration and Development Management
- Pediatric Nursing
Applicants who are interested to join anyone of the aforementioned thirty six (34) programs can apply until Hamle 06, 2008 (July 07, 2016). Applicants can get the Application Form attached herewith and can collect from the SEP office at HU. Applicants should submit their application either in person or through post office to the Summer Education Program Office of Haramaya University at the main campus. For more information you can use our contact information.
- Admission Criteria for First Year summer 2008 E.C (2015/16 A.Y)
- Previous grade 12/ESLCE point > 2.0 in five subjects including Mathematics & English and diploma; no F in Mathematics & English or
- Previous grade 12/ESLCE result Plus grade 10/EGSEC result > 2.0 for five subjects including Mathematics & English and diploma; no F in mathematics & English or
- Previous grade 12/ESLCE or grade 10 point plus TTI (teacher training institute) result >2 plus Diploma
For all the above three cases level 4 COC pass mark is mandatory for all programs except for Natural and Computational Sciences (NCS), Social Sciences and Humanities (SSH) and Education and Behavioral Sciences (CEBS).
- Grade 10 result /EGSEC > 2.0 in seven subjects including Mathematics & English; no F in Mathematics & English plus,
- At least 10+3 diploma for all programs plus,
- Level 4 COC pass mark except for who join NCS, SSH and EBS
For Preparatory Complete
- For those who took 4 courses pass mark is >157
- For those who took 5 courses pass mark is >196
- For those who took 7 courses pass mark is >275
- Diploma for all programs except for who join NCS, SSH and EBS.
- Those who have taken grade 12 twice should compete only by one document.
- COC is not needed for all programs
- Work experience of one year is necessary for all first year students.
- All students have to show the original copy of their document with its photo copy during registration.
- Those who have Diploma in Education (NCS, SSH and EBS) must keep their study in education; changing field is not allowed
- Those who have Diploma in Agriculture must keep their study in agriculture ; changing field is not allowed
- MoE sponsored student should submit letter from their respective woredaS/zones.
- It is mandatory to stick to these criteria and guidelines.
- Academic Calendar
Directorate for Continuing & Distance Education
Undergraduate Summer Education Program
Summer 2008 E.C (2015/16 G.C)
|Major Events||Ethiopian Date||European Date|
|Boarding opens for Summer 2016||Hamle 04, 2008||July 11, 2016|
|Summer Registration||Hamle 5-6, 2008||July 12-13, 2016|
|Registration with penalty||Hamle 7,8 &11, 2008||July 14,15 &18, 2016|
|Dates for adding and dropping courses||Hamle 12-13, 2008||July 19-20, 2016|
|Tutorial classes||evening time for three hours per day from 6:30-9:30 PM for three days||Hamle 5-7, 2008||July 12-14 2016|
|day time for eight hours per day for six days||Hamle 7-12, 2008||July 14-19, 2016|
|Exam dates for Distance and Home Take Courses||Hamle 13-20, 2008||July 20- 27, 2016|
|Face-to-Face Class Begin||Hamle 13, 2008||July 20, 2016|
|Mid Examination Period||Hamle 30- Nehase 07, 2008||August 06-13, 2016|
|Release of Examination Schedule||Nehase 10, 2008||August16, 2016|
|End of Classes for Graduating Classes||Nehase 18, 2008||August 24, 2016|
|Examination Period for Graduating Classes||Nehase 19-26, 2008||August 25- September 01, 2016|
|End of Classes for Non-Graduating Classes||Nehase 26, 2008||September 01, 2016|
|Examination Period for Non- Graduating Classes||Nehase 27, 2008-Pagume 03, 2008||September 02-September 08, 2016|
|Boarding Service Closes for all Summer Programs||Pagume 04, 2008||September 9, 2016|
- Contact Information
Summer Education Program
P.O. Box 63,
+251 25 553 03 63