Haramaya University Sgs
Haramaya University Sgs
School Of Graduate Studies (SGS)
The School of Graduate Studies (SGS) offer PhD, M.Sc./M.Ed. and MPh. degrees in regular, summer, and continuing education programs.
Admission of Regular Graduate (PhD and Masters) Programs
- The applicant must have completed the academic requirements for the bachelors’ degree, in case of admission to master’s programs, or be in possession of a master’s degree, in case of admission to PhD programs, from the University or any other accredited institution of higher learning. Given the availability of places, admission to the School of Graduate Studies shall be on a competitive and competence basis.
- The applicant must satisfactorily pass entrance examination to be administered by the department concerned. Foreign applicants should present academic records equivalent to accredited Ethiopian Higher Learning Institutions and pass entrance examination.
- Senior undergraduate students of accredited universities or colleges applying to join the graduate program immediately upon graduation may be allowed to register and/or sit for entrance examinations administered by departments provided their CGPA and/or major GPA at the end of the first semester of their final year is above 2.50.
- The Department Graduate Committee may include additional admission requirements in conformity with University’s rules and regulations and upon approval by Graduate Program Committee (GPC).
- Colleges/departments may, for academic reasons or special requirements of the field of study, set appropriate restrictions such as age limits subject to the approval of the GPC.
- Colleges/departments may also set appropriate work experience requirements after obtaining the bachelor’s degree subject to the approval of the GPC.
- Applicants shall be responsible to cover payments of tuition and thesis/dissertation research costs as per internal rules and regulation of the University.
- An applicant who is found deficit in undergraduate and/or graduate courses shall be required to take remedial courses recommended by the respective DGCs.
- Any such student who has been recommended to take remedial courses shall be admitted as a special student.
- The duration of the student’s stay in the University as a special student shall be determined by the respective DGCs, but shall not exceed one academic year.
- A special student who has satisfactorily completed the prescribed remedial courses and passed the entrance examination shall be granted regular graduate student status.
- The Registrar shall record separately the results of the examinations in the prescribed remedial courses. These grades may not count towards Masters or PhD degree.
- A special student may register for and take graduate level courses for which he is qualified.
- An applicant who has successfully completed a semester or more graduate study of another accredited University, and meets the special requirements of the faculty/department may be admitted to a similar graduate program.
Admission to Summer, Continuing and Distance Education Graduate Programs
Application requirements set for regular graduate programs are applicable to Summer, Continuing and Distance Education Graduate programs.