Haramaya University Psychology
Haramaya University Psychology
DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHOLOGY
- BACKGROUND OF DEPARTMENT
Department of psychology in Haramaya University was established in the year 2013 under the Collage of Education and Behavioral sciences. It is one of the youngest departments of the university with the objectives of providing teaching on human mind and behavior, trainings, research and community services. The curriculum was designed in 2012 afterthoroughly conducting need assessment in various organizations across the country which was in apposition to respond to the human power needs of the country. Now the department had a degree curriculum program entitled baccalaureate of Arts Degree in Psychology. The Department falls under the Faculty of Education and Behavioral Sciences.
- PROGRAM OBJECTIVES
2.1. General objectives
The general objective of the program is to:
- produce qualified psychologists who work in various governmental, nongovernmental, and private agencies;
- carry out quality research on various psychological, educational and, social issues, and
- Offer community services to individuals, institutions, and groups regarding problems and issues pertaining to the field of psychology
2.2. Specific objectives
The specific objectives of the training program are to produce professionals who:
- can provide psychological services in governmental, nongovernmental, and private institutions
- would be able to work in various educational settings
- can initiate, organize, and evaluate various educational and social development programs
- render rehabilitation services
- Prepare psychologists that can plan & conduct seminars, workshops and trainings in psychological and related issues for stakeholders
- can conduct research on various psychological, educational and social issues
- can provide demand-based consultation and technical advice to individuals, groups, and institutions
- Graduate Profile(COMPETENCIES)
Upon successful completion of the training program, graduate students would be able to;
- Provide professional assistance to individuals with personal, social, family , and educational problems
- Offer guidance and counseling services to students and other special groups such as street children, people living with HIV/AIDS, displaced individuals, orphans etc.
- Provide professional assistance on psychosocial and educational issues to school teachers, managers, administrators, workers in justice system, health professionals and relevant others
- Act as a resource person in test development and statistical techniques at the academic and non-academic institutions.
- Identify, assess and develop early intervention programs for persons with special needs
- Give various psychological trainings at academic and non-academic settings
- Help individuals with disabilities to gain optimum vocational adjustment to rehabilitate themselves to fullest physical, mental, social, vocational, and economic usefulness
- Offer courses in various educational settings (Universities, colleges, institutes etc).
- Optimize human potential in residential, community, and institutional settings
- Conduct scientific research in psychology such as: cognition and perception, principles of learning, and therapies at clinical and non-clinical level.
- Provide counseling related services to reproductive health, marital issues, career and developmental aspects etc.
- Develop critical thinking in solving problems
- Develop effective communication skills
- Adapt and use appropriate technologies
- Program Profile
Psychology is a demanding profession and requires rigorous training and supervision. The program offers basic general knowledge in the field of Counseling, Educational,Developmental,social, personality and psychometrics psychologywith opportunities to specialize in particular areas of the field in preparation for a variety of career opportunities/outcomes. They may work for government organizations such as universities, research institutes, schools,hospitals, and health clinics, justice systems, non for profit organization, in the corporate field or private practices. The employment fields for graduates with studies in psychology are quite broad. Some of the career possibilities are:
- Learning and development
- Career development
- Community development
- Social and behavioural research
- Psychometrics assessment
- School counsellor
- Mediation and community justice
- Life coaching
- Social work
The curriculum provides not only a list of courses or modules offered in a program, but it also gives information on content, purpose, method, time/duration, trainers and location or situation of a program or course – all of which are essential in a successful dispensation of manpower training and education.