Haramaya University CEP
Haramaya University CEP
Continuing Education Program (CEP) was started at Haramaya University (HU) thirty years ago with Certificate and Diploma programs in different fields of Agriculture at the main campus of Haramaya (then Alemaya) and Harar centres. The university started these activities in 1980s with few programs and has been expanding in depth, width, and magnitude over time and space. After few years, a new centre was also opened at Dire Dawa. Currently, the CEP has two more centers at Jigjiga and Chiro with a total student population of more than 1500.
The continuing mode of programs that the University has been running are demand driven, relevant and appropriate to build the capacity of the workforce, which is otherwise far from education, training, and professional development. In this regard, the university has been doing its level best in contributing to the human capital development effort of the region in particular and the nation at large.
Many students graduated from CEP in Diploma and Degree since its foundation. Among graduates of CEP, some of them are the employees of the University, which can be witnessed by a significant number of staff of HU. The university has been contributing a lot in the development of the human resource of the country in general and the region in particular. Moreover, there are also numerous alumina of the CEP that are with international reputation in GOs, NGOs as well as international institutions.
The core objectives of the CEP of HU are;
- To reach the in-service workforces, for which the regular education is not appropriate choice in terms of time and space, through evening (extension) and/or weekend educational provisions/modalities.
- To provide demand driven, relevant and appropriate programs and thereby to build the capacity of the workforce that might otherwise have been far from education, training, and professional development.
- To contribute to the human capital development effort of the regions in particular and the nation at large.
1.3.Current Centers of CEP and Fields of Studies
The continuing education program of HU is delivering different fields of studies at four different centers:
|Owners of the Program||Centre(s)|
|College of Business and Economics|
|Accounting and Finance||Harar, Diredawa, Chiro, Jigjiga|
|Management||Harar, Diredawa, Jigjiga|
|Public Administration and development Management||Jigjiga|
|Institute of Technology|
|Civil Engineering||Harar, Diredawa|
|College of Computing and Informatics|
|Health and Medical Science|
|Nursing||Harar, Diredawa, Chiro|
|Agriculture and Environmental Sciences|
|Rural Development and Agricultural Extension (RDAE)||Harar, Jigjiga|
|College of Social Science and Humanities|
|Sociology||Harar, Diredawa, Jigjga|
1.4.Proposed Centers and Fields of Studies
CEP is planning to expand different fields of study on the basis of needs of the community at all its currently available centers. Although CEP was initiated at HU before 30 years, currently it is not being given at the main campus. But the office of CEP together with Directorate for Continuing and Distance Education (DCDE) and the University’s management is planning to re-initiate at the main campus. Based on the interest of the community and need assessment results, the office is also intending another centre in the nearby parts of eastern and western Hararghe zones of the region.
1.5.. Haramaya University CEP – Requirement for Eligibility
Without any prejudice to directives given by the Ministry of Education, eligible applicants to the CEP of HU may fall into any one of the following four categories.
1.6. Haramaya University CEP – Preparatory Education Completes
- To join CEP, applicants must have ESLCE result of 2.0 and above either 10 or 12 grade.
- Applicants who have successfully complete ten-plus-two (10+2) preparatory school education can apply to the continuing education program.
- Applicants must provide original documents and their required number of photocopies in which the office may require.
- Applicants must pass both the university and grade 12 entrance examination set by the university and ministry of education.
- During application, applicants must bring two pass port sized photographs.
- Applicants may attach any accredited document he/she may think is useful for his/her competition.
- Applicants must pay application fee which is not refundable; incase, the department/the school/ the college the students apply for may not be opened due to justifiable reasons.
1.7. Haramaya University CEP Up grading applicants
- Applicants who have ESLCE result of 2.0 and above either of 10th or 12th grade can apply.
- Applicants with a diploma (12+2 or 10+3) and a cumulative grade point average (CGPA/CANG) of 2.00 up on graduation from an accredited Higher Learning Institution of similar program are encouraged to apply.
- Technical and vocational education and training graduates with pertinent qualifications and who satisfy entrance qualification assessment set by the Ministry of Education can be admitted.
- Centre of Competence (COC) is mandatory for all applicants having a diploma.
- In case the respective department/the school/college is willing to give entrance examination for the applicants, the applicants must successfully pass the examination.
- The applicant must provide the entire necessary document the institution may require (ESLCE, Transcripts, Diploma or its equivalent and any other the student thinks is relevant for competition).
- All applicants must apply within the time period of the application days set by the office of the continuing education program.
- All applicants must complete the application form (and produce necessary documents) very carefully. The office of the CEP is not responsible for in failure to do so.
- The application process is facilitated by the centre coordinators until the screening process is accomplished and lists of accepted applicants are notified.
- Application is open for every one who can full fill the required criteria.
- All applicants should sign an agreement to pay tuition and related fees to the University.
1.8 Haramaya University CEP Illegal Admission
- Securing or intending to secure admission using forged academic documents and examination results are illegal.
- Securing admission by posing oneself as a student to the University System after withdrawal, dropping out or dismissal is illegal.
- The discovery of any illegal admissions using the afore mentioned or other means would lead to immediate and automatic dismissal from the University and liable to proper legal actions.
1.9. Haramaya University CEP – Registration Process
- Registration process should be accomplished within the period set by the Office of the CEP or in accordance to the calendar of the University.
- Students should be registered in three (3) normal registration days.
- In the failure to complete registration within three (3) normal registration days, three (3) late registrations with penalty will be allowed. The penalty increases from day one to the day three of the penalty begins.
- In the absence of registering within six (6) days is never incorporated by the office of the CEP as well as by the centre coordinators.
- A student, who did not accomplish the registration within the six (6) days mentioned above, is only recommended to withdraw from the program.
- Students may not register for the next semester, receive transcripts, participate in commencement or receive a degree until past due amounts are cleared.
- Registration is accomplished at the respective centers.
1.10. Haramaya University CEP – Contact Address:
- Directorate for Continuing and Distance Education
Tel.: 025 553 0315
Fax: 025 553 0013
- Continuing Education Program Offices
P.O. Box 32, Haramaya University
Tel.: 025 553 0057