Addis Ababa University Scholarship
In-Country/In-Region postgraduate Scholarship Program
Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa Institute of Technology, Ethiopia
MSc in Electrical Engineering for Railway Systems
Scholarship Announcement 2018
Objectives of the Program
DAAD, as a publicly funded, self-governing organization of the institutions of higher education in Germany, promotes international educational co-operation with developing countries through a variety of funding and scholarship programs.
In-Country/In-Region postgraduate Scholarship Program at Addis Ababa Institute of Technology aims at the development of academically trained Railway specialists who could contribute towards capacity building of East-Africa.This scholarship Programis funded by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development and seeks to strengthen and expand DAAD’s regional network of high-quality academic partners offering development-related Master and/or PhD studies which are geared towards capacity building and strengthening of teaching and research staff.
DAAD is offering scholarships to citizens in Sub-Saharan African countries to pursue MSc studies in Electrical Engineering for Railway Systems at Addis Ababa Institute of Technology (AAiT) for the academic year 2018/2019.
Applicants have to:-
- Have completed their last degree less than six years ago at the time of application
- Be Citizens of Sub-Saharan countries
- Have Bachelor’s degree qualification with at least a CGPA of 3.25/4.00 for males and 3.00/4.00 for females (Countries which uses other grading should be converted to 4.00)
In addition, the applicant must fulfill the following to be considered for admission:
- The applicant must have a B.Sc. degree in Electrical Engineering or related fields from an accredited institution at least a CGPA of 3.25/4.00 for males and 2.75/4.00 for females (Countries which uses other grading should be converted to 4.00).
- The applicant should write a personal statement/motivation letter describing the candidate`s interest to join the program.
- The scholar should have two letters of recommendations of advisors/ supervisors from previous educational institutions.
Female candidates and candidates from less privileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
Applications may come from Engineering subject areas with strong relevance in Electrical Engineering including Electronic, Communication, Control, Power, and Instrumentation Engineering, or related fields.
Place of Study
Addis Ababa University (AAU), Addis Ababa Institute of Technology (AAiT)
Duration and Commencement
Scholarships are available for up to a maximum of two years (Master).The scholarship will be initially granted for one year and may be extended upon individual request and receipt of a complete application by using the provided form. The application for renewal has to be submitted at least one month before the scholarship period expires.
The applicants should submit their document through the following email addresses email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants who meet all requirements will be selected and awarded the scholarship according to their academic status. The application will only be complete if the following documents are submitted together with the proper and accurate filled in and signed application form:
- Filled and signed DAAD Application Form for In-Country/In-Region Scholarships (link to DAAD application form)
- Signed curriculum vitae scanned in PDF; please use the Europass CV template (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu)
- A signed copy of DAAD Information Sheet for Students (link to DAAD information sheet form)
- Certified scanned PDF copies of all university degree certificates
- Certified scanned PDF copies of all university transcripts (for Ethiopians, those who have university transcripts)
- Letter of motivation (Maximum 2 pages)
- Academic reference from senior lecturer and proof of employment if applicable (scanned PDF copy)
- All the above documents should be scanned in PDF in one document. Applicants who submitted separately will not be accepted.
The application procedure for this scholarship will be done by AAiT (Addis Ababa Institute of Technology) and DAAD following these timeline:
|1||Promotion and Call for application||10th January 2016|
|2||Deadline of Application||10th February 2018|
|3||Announcement for short listed candidates||28th February 2018|
|4||Deadline for the portal application (for selected candidates only)||22nd March 2018|
|5||Final selection of scholarship candidates||Mid-May 2018|
|6||Earliest starting date of funding||1st September 2018|
Railway Engineering Center
Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa Institute of Technology (AAiT)
Samsung Building first floor, N-135
Office hours: Monday to Friday
Mr. Birhanu Reesom
School of Multidisciplinary Engineering
PG Coordinator, Railway Engineering Center
Addis Ababa Institute of Technology
Cell phone: (+251) 912-780969
- DAAD Application form
- DAAD Information sheet for scholars