The Lusaka Apex Medical University
The Lusaka Apex Medical University (LAMU) is a Zambian privately owned Medical University that was incorporated in 2008. LAMU aims to supplement the efforts of the government and push the bar upwards by focusing on relevant training in line with developments of technologies and techniques in the health field. It was established to complement the Zambian Government’s effort by contributing to the provision of quality education.
The University’s commitment is to be one of the leading providers of high quality professional health training, clinical care specialism as well as research and consultancy services with focus on health driven initiatives.
The Centre for Continuing Professional Development under the Directorate of Research and Post Graduate Studies has observed that one of the roles of any institution of higher learning is that of capacity building of both staff in the University and those in the field, as well as the community at large. The Centre has put in place short courses that target real issues that individuals, families and communities experience in their day to day life. The courses have been designed in such a way that they are highly interactive and participatory. It is the nature of these courses that make them relevant and appropriate to various audiences both local and international. The courses will equip individuals from the health and non-health fields with basic knowledge and skills required in emergency situations.
We are situated in Roma, Plot No. 35, Mutandwa Road, Off Kasangula Road, Lusaka – Zambia.
SHORT COURSES :The Lusaka Apex Medical University
1. Medical Emergencies
2. Surgical Emergencies
3. Paediatric Emergencies
4. Psychiatric Emergencies for Defence Forces
5. Psychiatric Emergencies in General
6. Obstetrics and Gynaecology Emergencies
7. Sports Medicine
8. Data Management
9. Financial Management for non finance managers
10. Gender and HIV/AIDS Mainstreaming/ policy development
11. Governance /Board orientation
12. Handing medical emergencies
13. Handling surgical emergencies
14. Health and safety in the workplace
15. Hospital Administration and Management
17. Management Development
18. Managing wellness programmes in the workplace
19. Monitoring and Evaluation
20. Occupational health and safety
21. Organization Capacity Assessment (OCA)
22. Performance Management systems
24. Psychosocial counselling and various counselling courses
25. Quality , customer care
26. Strategic Planning and Management
27. Stress management and team building
28. Supervisory skills
29. Tailor made/Customized courses
30. Teaching Methodology
Duration of courses ranges from one (1) day workshops to 5 days, except for a few that last longer.
1. Master of Medicine in Oncology
2. Master of Medicine in Radiology
3. Master of Science in Public Health
4. Master of Professional Education
5. Master of Science in Counselling
Projects : The Lusaka Apex Medical University
- Team members:
Vision : The Lusaka Apex Medical University
The Lusaka Apex Medical University will contribute to the global supply of highly qualified health professionals with emphasis on Zambia and Southern Africa.
Mission: The Lusaka Apex Medical University
The Lusaka Apex Medical University is a Centre of Excellence in Medical, Nursing and Health Sciences Education, Research and Specialised Clinical Care.
Objectives : The Lusaka Apex Medical University
a) To provide an alternate route for health and medical education for those young men and women who want to become doctors/ medical specialists and other health professionals but have not been given the opportunity to do so due to limited places in the national University of Zambia Medical School and other health institutions in Zambia and the region.
b) To provide quality research work in the medical field to support the country’s fight against the double burden of diseases:
- Communicable diseases, such as malaria, tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, and
- Non-communicable diseases, such as hypertension and diabetes, which are becoming prevalent on the African Continent.
- c) To work with the private sector and other public institutions to strategise and rationalise the health sector in Zambia, such that the country extracts as much benefit from both the human resource and non-human resources available in the country.
ACADEMIC PROGRAMMES OFFERED : The Lusaka Apex Medical University
1.Pre-Medical Programme, 2 years
The objective for the Pre-medical programme is to provide high quality tuition to students for the A – Level (London Edexcel Syllabus) examinations. The programme aims to prepare students who aspire to do Medicine, Dental Surgery, Pharmacy, Nursing, Biomedical, Environmental Health, Radiology, Physiotherapy and Anaesthesia degree programmes with LAMU. (Refer to the Pre-Medical brochure).
2.Medical Degree Programmes
- Bachelor of Medicine & Surgery [MBChB], 5 years.
3.Pharmacy Degree Programme
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy [BSc Pharm], 4 years.
4.Nursing Degree Programmes:
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BScN): direct entry, 4 years; in-service, 3years.
- Bachelor of Science in Midwifery;3years.
- Health Sciences Degree Programmes, 4 years.
- Bachelor of Science in Biomedical [BSc Biomed]
- Bachelor of Science in Anaesthesia [BSc Anaesth]
- Bachelor of Science in Physiotherapy [BSc Physio]
- Bachelor of Science in Radiography [BSc Rad]
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Health [BSc Env H]
DIPLOMA PROGRAMMES : The Lusaka Apex Medical University
- Public Health
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Pharmacy Technology
- Environmental Health
- Clinical Medical Sciences
- Dental Technology
- Oral Health Therapy
- Medical Licentiate
- Theatre Nursing
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery, 4 years
Postgraduate Degree Programmes
Masters in Medicine Programmes : The Lusaka Apex Medical University
- Internal Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Paediatric Surgery
- Ear, Nose and Throat
- Dental Surgery (Maxillo Facial)
- Plastic Surgery
- Masters in Pharmacy (MP)
Public Health Programme
- Masters In Public Health (MPH)
Medical Education Programme
- Masters in Medical Education (MME)
- Masters of Science in Nursing
- Masters of Science in Midwifery and
Health Sciences Programmes
- Masters in Biomedical Sciences
- Masters in Physiotherapy
- Masters in Environmental Health
- Masters in Radiography
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- Doctor of Public Health (DrPH)
- Doctor of Medicine (MD)
- Doctor of Dental Surgery (MDS)
- Doctor of Medical Education
- Doctor of Nursing
Pre – Medical Programme:
GCE ‘O’ Levels or equivalent in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics and English Language. Tuition fees: K5 million per semester.
a. ‘A’ Levels or equivalent in the following subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Maths or Physics.
b. Credit transfer from recognized Universities can be considered (transcript in relevant subjects for all years of study is required).
c. Advanced Diplomas, Nursing Diplomas or Higher Certificates in Health Sciences courses.
Nursing Diploma Courses
Five O-Level credits in English, Biology, Maths and any two other subjects (Entry qualifications are as per current General Nursing Council of Zambia requirements).
Health Sciences Diploma Courses
Five O-Level credits in English, Biology, Maths and any two other subjects (Entry qualifications are as per current Health Professions Council of Zambia requirements).Tuition
Contact : The Lusaka Apex Medical University
Business Development Manager
Lusaka, Zambia 10101 Zambia
Plot 18963 Off Katima Mulilo Road
Plot 12681/M Hillview,Libala
P.O. Box 31909
Tel : +260 211 293800
Mobile: +260 950 229695
+260 963 723056
+260 950 229697
+260 978 687961
+260 977 346609